Cullen Skink Recipe
Its winter at the moment and I make no apologies for concentrating on traditional food. Tasty, warming and calorific. I love this recipe. Similar to a Chowder this Cullen Skink Recipe is a true winter warmer – a Scottish Classic.
For a main meal serve with some Soda Bread and some good butter.
I you want another Good Soup Recipe try this recipe for Cauliflower, Brie and Bacon Soup
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Serving size: 450gm
Calories per serving: 350
Fat per serving: 45g
Updated on 7th March 2012 By:
For this Cullen Skink Recipe you will need:
Ingredients for Cullen Skink – Serves 6
- 75gm butter
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 litres full fat milk
- 2 small green chillies chopped finely
- 200ml single cream
- 750gm Potatoes preferably good for mash Maris Piper, King Edwards, Reds or Albert Rooster, peeled and diced
- 450gm smoked haddock fillet -preferably undyed
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- some Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method for making Cullen Skink
- Melt the butter in a pan over a very low heat add the onion and chillies and cook very gently for 10 minutes the Onions are translucent.
- Pour in the milk heat gently until simmering.
- Add the potatoes and simmer very gently for 20 minutes
- Turn off the heat and immediately add the Smoked Haddock
- Make sure the fish is covered by the liquid
- After about five minutes the fish should be cooked.
- Remove the fish and leave to cool slightly.
- Remove half the potatoes and onions and chilli
- Crush the removed mixture and add back to the pan. this will thicken the sauce
- When the smoked haddock is cool remove the skin and break the fish into large flakes
- Add the Fish back to the pan
- Add the cream and chives.
- Reheat very gently until hot but not boiling