One of the targets I set myself when developing this collection of recipes was to provide a resource for lovers of well made traditional British Foods. This Faggots Recipe is the perfect example of this. My guess is that soon this dish will only be available in gastropubs where they look to recreate the flavours of a bygone age. At the moment you can still buy Mr Brains Faggots but my guess is that it is only the older generation that buy them and that modern faddish and squeamish eating habits in the young will cause this product to be withdrawn within the next ten years.
A Faggots Recipe you must try if you yearn to make your own, have never heard of them or have never tried them! Lovely with creamy buttery mash on a cold winter night!
want to try another Traditional British Dish try this Lancashire Hot Pot Recipe from Real Recipes
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 400gm
Calories per serving: 400
Fat per serving: 55g
Updated on 29th March 2012 By:
For this Faggots Recipe you will need:
- 50g butter
- 1 large onion, very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 8 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground mace
- 3 tsp black pepper
- 450g minced pork belly
- 150g minced bacon
- 200g pork or lamb’s liver, finely but roughly chopped
- 1 level tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 100g coarse white breadcrumbs
- 100ml whole milk
- 225gm beef caul
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 level tablespoons plain flour
- 350ml good dark beef stock
- 150ml good dark beer
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- Melt 30g of the butter in a frying pan
- Add the chopped large onion and fry over a gentle heat until soft and transluscent
- Add the thyme, sage and spices and cook very gently low heat for about 5 minutes,
- Add the onions to the meats and salt in a big bowl
- Mix it all together well
- Add the breadcrumbs and milk.
- Mix everything together until everything is really well incorporated
- Spread the caul out on a worksurface
- Cut out squares of 12.5cm avoiding any holes in the caul
- place a handful of the mixture on each square – just over golf ball size
- Fold the caul over the top of the meats and wrap fully
- Turn the faggot over to ensure that the weight of the faggot stops the caul unwrapping.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Heat the rest of the butter in a frying pan over a medium and put fry the faggots fold side down.
- Fry until the Faggots have browned
- Turn over and fry on the other side.
- Repeat until all are good and brown. Transfer them to a board.
- In the same frying pan, fry the sliced large onion over a low heat for 30 minutes or
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan/180°C/Gas 4.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook gently, stirring, for a minute until all the fat has been absorbed and a roux has formed.
- Remove from the heat and start adding the beef stock, little by little, stirring constantly.
- When the flour has benn absorbed in the liquid add the rest of the beef stock and the beer
- Season to taste
- Place the faggots in a shallow casserole and cover with the gravy
- Cover with a lid.
- Cook for 1½ hours. For the last 15 minutes, remove the lid.
As I mentioned earlier this Faggots Recipe eats well with good mashed potato. I particularly recommend a Grain Mustard or Horseradish Mash and some sauteed Savoy Cabbage